This is one of our favourite pre-starters. A delicious peppery dip originating from Aleppo, Syria.
Makes enough for about 6-8 servings
- 2 or 3 red bell peppers
- 100g of toasted walnuts
- Juice of half a lemon
- 25g chopped parsley
- ½ tsp hot paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 75-100g of fine olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 190ºC and roast.
- Wash and cut the peppers into large pieces and arrange, skin down, on a baking tray.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, ground pepper, and a little olive oil
- Bake for around 45 minuted until the skin of the peppers begins to blacken. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, toast the walnuts in a dry pan until they release their flavor and begin to brown. Set aside to cool.
- Add the roasted peppers, walnuts and other ingredients to a blender and blend until you reach a consistency you love.
- If you need to all a little more olive oil to loosen up the dip, you can stir it in at this stage.
Tools for the job
- blender/food processor
- baking tray and oven
- Blend the walnuts separately first, this way you will get more uniform large crumb-like pieces, this gives an overall better consistency.
- This dip keeps really well in the fridge for up to 5 days, that is if you don´t eat it all first!