Carrot Cake Recipe
This carrot cake has formed part of the el gran sueño breakfast from day one. Over the past 3 years, I´ve perfected the recipe and it remains an all-time favorite, especially amongst our guests who prefer gluten-free options.
3 organic, free-range eggs
160g panela unrefined organic sugar
280g finely grated organic carrot
150g organic wholegrain rice flour
80g organic almonds
1 tsp cinnamon
15g baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
Pinch of salt
For the filling and topping
250g organic icing sugar
50g organic butter
50g organic cream cheese
The juice and zest of half a lime
- Juice and zest the orange, add the raisins and leave to soak.
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC (140ºC for fan assisted) and line the base of 2 x 24 cm cake tins. Set aside.
- Put the dry ingredients into a food processor and blitz into a fine powder.
- Crack the eggs and add the vanilla essence and whisk for about 30 seconds.
- Grate the carrots and add to the beaten eggs, tip in the dry ingredients and the pre-soaked raisins. Combine fully.
- Split the mix evenly amongst the two tins and place int he middle of the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Remove the cakes from the tin and allow to cool fully before adding the topping.
- For the topping: Pulse the icing sugar and butter in a food processor. Add the cream cheese, zest and juice of the lime and whisk into a smooth paste.
- Spread half the topping on the bottom layer of the cake, sandwich on the top half and repeat the process.
Tools for the job
2 x 24cm springform cake tins
Soak the raisins in the orange juice with the zest for at least 24 hours. The raisins will absorb practically all the juice making the final cake full of juicy raisins.
Resist grating the carrots until you actually need them. If they are sat around for any length of time they will go brown and the end result will not be the same.
If you don´t eat it all in one go, store in the fridge, it will last for a good 3 or 4 days. You may also freeze it, if you do, defrost it for 24 hours in the fridge.